SZA Logo
     

Restoration Projects

Bloor Gladstone District Library

Client:
Toronto Public Library

Description:
The 1919 Bloor Gladstone District Library was the first library built by the Toronto Public Library. The project consists of a complete exterior and interior restoration of the original landmark library as well as a new glass addition. The design maintains the original entrance while providing barrier free access by lowering the entry 450mm to grade. A central courtyard inserted into the original building links both floors of the original library and the addition. The glass addition opens the library to Bloor Street thus embodying the idea of a library as a community commons. In association with RDH and ERA.

Awards:
Ontario Library Association Design Award, OAA Award for Design Excellence, Design Exchange Awards Gold Medal, Heritage Toronto Award, Canadian Interiors Best of Canada Award, Chicago Athenaeum International Architecture Award, Canadian Architects Awards Honorable Mention 2007

 








Photos by Tom Arban